Rose Wine – Côteaux d’Aix Château Beaulieu 75cl
- Characteristic varieties: Grenache, Cabernet-Sauvignon, Syrah, Cinsault
- The terroir: The Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence appellation zone (4,000 hectares) is located in the western part of the limestone-rich Provence. It extends from Durance to the Mediterranean Sea, from the valley of the Rhône to the west, and to the Saint-Victoire mountain to the east. It is between the relief constituted by a succession of mountain chains parallel to the coast – Nerthe, Fare, Eguilles, Trévaresse, Costes extended by the Alpilles – that we find the sedimentary basins in which the winemaking activity is concentrated.
- The estate: Château Beaulieu is the largest property of the Coteaux appellation in Aix-en-Provence. Located in the Rognes municipality, the 180-ha winemaking estate extends to the heart of an extinct volcano located at 400 m in altitude. Its history is closely linked to the history of Provence. Constructed as a fiefdom by Henry III in 1576, Château Beaulieu was long the property of the counts of Provence. The most eminent families lived there, generation after generation, preserving a terroir with unique characteristics.
- The people: 12 years ago, Pierre Guénant, an entrepreneur from the automotive industry, decided to give a second life to Château Beaulieu. He took over a vineyard and some deteriorated infrastructure, with the goal of relaunching the production of the great wines that had been produced there in the past (he co-invested in new winemaking facilities, together with the Cave Coopérative de Rognes) and to offer a unique luxury hotel destination.
At the same time, the Guénant family replanted several hectares of truffle oaks and almond trees to recreate the diversity of days gone by. Thanks to these initiatives, the estate would produce the raw materials for the famous calissons d’Aix confections as well as wood for cabinet-making.
- The wine: Rosewood-coloured robe. Nose with notes of exotic fruits and white flowers. Fresh mouthfeel supported by excellent acidity and notes of guava and papaya.
- Food pairing: Serve between 8 and 10°C with eggplant caviar, octopus salad, stuffed mussels or prawns.